Lear's Fool

Lear's fool chided the king, "Thou shouldst not have been old, till thou hadst been wise."
As we close on 40, our aim is to prod wisdom to catch up with age. We leave it to the reader to judge our success.

Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Keep pushing that boulder, Sisyphus!

I'm mad!

This federal government bailout of deadbeat mortgage-holders has stepped over the line.

I drive a car that's 13 years old. I rent a drafty, run-down shack in the mesquite desert of north Texas. I live beans-n-rice cheap. And I save my money so someday I can buy a home of my own without getting into risky, foolish, massive debt.

And what happens? Obama comes down here, sticks a gun in my ribs (so to speak), and says, "Give us some money."

"What for?" I ask.

"You've gotta prop up the housing market."

Housing prices have been over-inflated for years. The ponzi scheme has reached its inevitable end. The music has stopped, and everyone who could find a chair has done so. Lots of folks have been left standing, and now they're whining, bawling, begging. And Obama has a gun in my ribs, demanding I give up my seat.

How 'bout this instead? If you got in over your head with the bank, if you thought your job was secure and found out the hard way it wasn't, if you were unprepared to cope with inflating prices and deflating wages, if you didn't pay attention to the "seven fat years, seven lean years" story - how 'bout you move into my shack and I'll move into your nice brick home? You can live cheap for a while, get caught up and then completely out of debt, get some savings, some positive net worth, and try again. And I'll talk to your bank about settling their bad bet (your mortgage) for a fair X-cents-on-the-dollar price agreeable to them and myself.

"No, banks shouldn't have to take a loss just because they made bad bets," Obama tells me. "And these folks shouldn't have to move out of their quarter-million-dollar house and live like you. So just hand me your wallet!" (Jab! Jab!)

So I'm forced to bid up the price of homes that OTHER PEOPLE GET TO LIVE IN!

Sisyphus, as the mythological story goes, was punished in Hades, forced to roll a huge boulder up a hill, and every time he got close to the top, the boulder would roll back down and he'd have to start all over again.

So here I am - and many others like me - living responsibly, frugally, circumspectly, sticking to our goal, only to discover the goal placed out of reach and our efforts not only futile, but used against us.

1 Comments:

Blogger Morgoth said...

Nice ammo to use against the leftist herd

Wednesday, April 22, 2009 7:58:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home