Lear's Fool

Lear's fool chided the king, "Thou shouldst not have been old, till thou hadst been wise."
As we close on 40, our aim is to prod wisdom to catch up with age. We leave it to the reader to judge our success.

Tuesday, December 05, 2006

A Lesson from "The Princess Bride"

"Westley had no money for marriage. So he packed his few belongings, and left the farm to seek his fortune across the sea."

What has happened to men? Why is it that having no money for marriage is no longer a reason to delay marriage? Why are we content to live off our wives' labor?

In westerns, the young cowhand goes on an arduous, months-long cattle drive so he will have enough to buy his own spread. Only then, he understands, will he be worthy to ask his sweetheart for her hand in marriage.

"Well we talked about it, and decided that she'll work while I finish school."

"I had trouble finding a good job here after I graduated. So rather than move and start all over someplace new, I took a part-time job I found. Which is okay, since her employer has good benefits."

"She's doing so well in her career - making a good salary and family benefits - that we decided I should stay home and take care of the house and kids."

A man's duty to his wife and children is to be protector, provider and guide. Men were created to this duty, and men throughout history have recognized this fact.

Welfare - whether it comes from the state or from one's wife - is demoralizing to men. During the Carter recession, I saw my father suffer the loss of his dignity when again and again he was denied the opportunity to work. I saw him lose the respect of his wife and family when my mother became the provider.

Men were created for work. To deny a man this work - whether by denying him a job or removing the necessity for it - is to reject what he is, and to deny him dignity, honor, self-respect and the respect of his wife and children.

Shame on those "men" who live off the labor of their wives. And shame on the rest of us for allowing them to disgrace themselves - and all of us with them.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Life lessons from The Princess Bride ... I love it. I seem to remember some advice about a land war in Asia as well. ... Inconceivable !!

Tuesday, December 05, 2006 11:48:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home